Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sad Days



                This week has been one of the saddest weeks that I can remember. On Tuesday, I lost a dear friend, and the world lost a wonderful woman. After 17 months of fighting, cancer finally won the battle against our sweet Ina. We all knew it was coming, although that really doesn’t make it any easier.

 But as sad as it is, I think we all feel a sense of relief.

The hurt is over.

All the pain, struggle, worry, and false hope. There won’t be anymore. We won’t all have to wonder if a new kind of chemo will work, and we won’t have to be disappointed when it doesn’t. There won’t be any more bad news. 

She was ready to go. And it is comforting to know that she is finally at peace.

I worked with Ina for only seven months, but in that time she taught me a lot. Her positive attitude and upbeat spirit always amazed me. She knew she did not have much time left, yet she never let her fear show.

She was a woman who loved her job. As the president of our company put it yesterday at Ina’s “Celebration of Life Gathering,” it was the job she was made to do. She came in every morning at 6:30 to make coffee and be sure everything was neat and tidy and ready for the day, even though the office didn’t open until 8:00. And she never wanted to take a vacation. There was no place she would rather be. It is inspirational to know someone who absolutely loves what she does for a living. I hope that one day I might find a career which brings me as much joy as Ina’s brought her for 32 years.

                If anything, I have definitely learned to cherish my days here on Earth. Cancer is a horrible and tragic disease. It doesn’t always matter how healthy you are. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white, short or tall, fat or skinny. It doesn’t matter how good of a person you were. It just shows up one day and flips your whole world upside down. And a lot of times, there’s nothing you can do about it.

                But maybe it is true that everything happens for a reason. And Ina’s life, though brief, was beautiful. She touched a lot of people and put smiles on the faces of so many. I know everyone at work is going to miss her so very much. I remember how she told my boss “You’ve gotta hire this one,” on the day of my interview, or how she greeted me every morning with a “Hey friend!” or how she liked to talk about all the good food she loved to eat. Or her bright blue nail polish. 

One of the many things I loved about Ina was that she was so easy to talk to. I felt like I could tell her anything, and she would really listen, and truly care. And when she talked, you wanted to listen. Even when she was telling of troubles in her life, she did so in a way that didn’t make you feel sorry for her, but instead made you admire her strength to knock down anything that stood in her way. So she could ultimately find her happiness.

And I think she found it. She found it in her work, in her friendships, and in her family. Oh, she loved her family. Her husband, John, made her so happy, and she loved her children and grandchildren so much. And you can’t forget her dog, Mr. Bailey. Ina was so full of love for everyone around her, just as everyone else was for her.    

I may not have known her for very long, but I feel so blessed to have had the time with her that I did.

                She was just such a loving and caring person. And I know everyone only has nice things to say about someone after they die, but I truly never had a bad word to say about her when she was alive, either. She was just an all-around wonderful person. And it isn’t fair for her to be taken away from us so soon. But I guess God wanted her up there with him. And as much as I know she would love to be at work right now, I know she is going to have a great time up there. Maybe God will give her a seat at the front desk of Heaven and little sign that says “Director of First Impressions” and she will welcome everyone with her sweet smile. 

I am so thankful that there finally will be no more suffering. 

She is flying with the angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment