Friday, April 5, 2013

Director of First Impressions

Why the fuck does cancer exist?
I mean, what is the point?
And why is it that I have to meet and befriend one of the sweetest people I've ever known, only to find out that she is dying of lung cancer?
Cancer is bullshit, man.
I don't really know what to say, but I know she is ready to go. But I'm not ready to say goodbye. None of us are. I've only known her for six months. Some of the people I work with have been good friends with her for 30+ years. We are not ready to let her go.
I swear I just keep thinking I'm gonna walk in the door to the office one day and she'll be sitting there, just like she always is. And she'll say "Hey, friend!" Just like she always does.
And how is it that people can be so strong?
How is it that someone who knows they are so close to death can be so positive?
I've never seen her sad. I've never heard her complain or fret or want anyone to feel sorry for her.
She has been so strong.
It is amazing. I admire her strength and faith more than anything, because these are precisely the two things I would have the very least of in her situation.
No, I haven't known her long, but I love her and I'm glad Oliver had the chance to meet her and I really hope that God lets us keep her at least a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment