Sunday, December 15, 2013

Moving (on)

Well, we just finished the second move of the year. By we, I mean Oliver and me. Just the two of us.
After 2 years of marriage, Fernando decided it was time to call it quits. I'm not really sure what to say about it, because I'm not really sure how or what I'm feeling right now. I guess it's kind of a mixture of sadness and relief. Fear of being alone, but excitement for what the future may now bring. Being a single parent is not something I ever imagined I would be doing (although I'm sure very few people actually set out to be single parents), but I have to admit, I kind of like it just being the two of us. It's only been two weeks, but I feel like the bond between Oliver and myself is already getting stronger. I can't call on Fernando to fix him some juice or change his diaper, so I have no excuse to be a lazy mommy. And it's nice to be able to come home and not have someone constantly yelling at you, or complaining about what you did or didn't do. Sure, I have to pay all my bills alone now, but I still feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I was lucky in that the duplex at the end of the street I grew up on opened up the weekend I wanted to move. I am only a few houses down from my parents, and the other six families on the street are people I grew up with. I am surrounded by friends and family, and I couldn't ask to be in a better place.

Oliver is adjusting very well to the new place. He loves to be able to walk or ride his tricycle right down the street to see Grandaddy and Yaya. And he actually has a yard for the first time!

He still asks for his daddy sometimes, which breaks my heart, because I'm not exactly sure how to explain it to him. But thankfully, Fernando and I are on good terms, and he still sees Oliver regularly.

Since I've been on my own, I've been very inspired to get back into the things I like to do, one of which being this blog. I also signed up for a couple of online classes at the community college. I still have no idea what I want to go for, but hey, it's a start. It feels good to be able to focus on myself and my son for a change, instead of always having to put up with the stress my relationship put on my. I finally feel like I can breathe again.

 

 
 Greyson and Oliver love hanging out in the new backyard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment